Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Last day in Nicaragua-Ash Wednesday

Hola Amigos,
Today is Ash Wednesday in Nicaragua, the celebration of the beginning of Lent. Everyone is in church and you can hear them singing from the streets. We are back in Leon because we were going to go Volcano boarding for our last day in Nicaragua. Unfortunately the tour was booked so it looks like we will have to stay one more day, and go tomorrow (bummer). Sigh. I dont care if we ever leave. We ate cotton candy for 25 cents and im about to have a nice cold coca cola. We are staying at a beautiful hostel called the Lazy Turtle. 
They have this amazing honour system in which you dont pay anything until you leave. The bar is self serve, and you just write it down on your sheet and pay later. We took the bus this morning from Las Penitas. David, the owner of our favorite restaurant, made us Borscht for breakfast as sort of a going away gift, which was amazing. Im still feeling a little sinus headache, day 6 of it now. Not much else to report. Posted a couple pictures from the last few days. I am finding this place ridiculously hard to leave. I think Nicaragua is definetley a place I can see myself volunteering in the future or teaching english. If ever you want a true cultural travel experience but don´t have much money, this is the place to be. I am just so in love. The Nicas are true honourable people with hearts of gold. I have never felt more safe, even in my own country. Everyone is just so laid back and everything gets done. It makes me sad to think of the pace in which us North Americans live our lives. Always rushing, road raging, never having time for strangers, working too hard. I guess Nicaragua knows something we don´t.
Buildings in Leon
Sol Y Mar, Our B&B in Las Penitas
Sunday, locals day at the beach
Borscht!
a band we listened to at a beach fire
Goodbye Corn island!!
Our guard dog, Muchacha
Ridiculously beautiful sunsets every night
Siesta for Greg
Our $4 whole fried fish dinner, beer included

3 comments:

  1. Gerald Guzman from NicaraguaMarch 10, 2011 at 6:17 PM

    Hey Man I really enjoyed your pictures They r beautiful. U r a great person and I wish u the best cause U deserve it. U and your girl r special people with good feelings. Dont ever change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gerald Guzman from NicaraguaMarch 10, 2011 at 6:24 PM

    Hey Man I really enjoyed your pictures They r beautiful. U r a great person and I wish u the best cause U deserve it. U and your girl r special people with good feelings. Dont ever change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, great pictures, my parents own Sol y Mar and it makes me very proud to hear how much you liked it... jose_f_montes@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete